Sunday, July 29, 2007

Week one is now done

So the first week is over and I am still alive. It has been quite the experience and I can hardly believe that I will be living here for a year. Life here has been simple. All of our meals include in some form rice, noodles, tofu, cabbage, mushrooms, and carrots. Also, I have only been to the store once or twice, but the selection for the most part seems to be acceptable, it looks as if I will have a wide variety food in my diet.

As compared to some of the outer island volunteers, it appears that the volunteers in the dorm may be a little spoiled. We will have air conditioning, our own bathrooms, and we get to hang around other English speakers, all of which I think will make this experience a little easier. But we will be much more dependent on our $300/month stipend for even the basic necessities.

On Friday I joined the Marshall Islands Billfish Club . It looks like a great way to get way to pass the time while I am here. They hold tournaments once a month and fish for Marlin, Yellow Fin and a few other types of large fish. The meeting was quite the show with all of the debating that went on. I feel like it was a decent example of Marshallese culture.

Saturday night was spent bowling with the orientation group. It only confirmed that I am not good at bowling. However, we were joined by some people who have been living on this island for the last 3 years, and they were pretty good. So that just means I need to live here longer if I want to become a better bowler.

Sunday was spent on an island on the other side of the atoll. We got to snorkel and see many fish, coral (though half of it seemed like it was dead or dying), and the cockpit of an old sunken plane (though it was brought to that location for tourists to see). I opened my first coconut by cracking it open on the rocks. It tasted okay, I think I like it better when it is cooked. But over all it was just a great day to relax and enjoy the new environment.

Today was a very educational day. Our sessions were about the social and economic conditions in the Marshall Islands and the effect of nuclear bomb testing on the Bikinian people. It was great to receive all of this information, but it was also a little depressing. Hopefully my time here will make things a little better.
_______________________________________________IN OTHER NEWS....

Currently there are 45 volunteers living in 3 school trailers. There is not a lot of room or privacy but we have air conditioning and sometimes we have running water....but we don't drink that. The people I have met are awesome. WorldTeach did a great job bringing in some really cool people. I am really excited about this next year.

When school starts I will be moving to a teachers dorm on my school's campus with 8 other volunteers. I like everyone, so I am sure this will be a good year.

Anyway, I am all typed out... for your enjoyment I am attached some pics of people, where I am currently living, and near perfect sunsets (I mean the clouds are kinda ruining it.). Enjoy.

PS.

Please send in your predictions about my hair length, the days I will go without cutting my hair and how much weight I will gain/lose. :) And for everyone who gave me their address, I am currently working on getting those post cards out. Enjoy!




7 comments:

Julie Wilner said...

I refuse to participate in your hair length/weight change bet - ew.

G said...

Ok you did make it! Whewwwww!!! And, I may be upgrading this to a partially GDDC approved trip... We'll see...

Unknown said...

Hi Dar - sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Hopefully your bowling skills will improve:) -- follow through towards the triangles -- it helps.

e said...

What do normal human beings feel like, and how would you know if that was the right feeling?

Your hair is looking quite dragonball Z-ish!

Absolutely beautiful picture with you and the sunset sky. AWESOME!!

p.s. Where are the pictures of your students?!?

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool pics, Dar. Yesterday Anna was sitting in her highchair saying "Darren ---," something I couldn't understand, over and over. Then I realized she was saying "Darren islands, Darren islands, Darren islands." Completely out of the blue.

Kel comes tomorrow and we're going to Montauk. We'll try to call you while she's here.

Kai said...

weight loss: 12 lbs
hair length: 11 inches

basically, if you don't come back looking like hank azaria - oh, i don't know - circa along came polly-ish, i'll be sorely disappointed (start working on your abs). although part of me loves the john quincy adams greenback look you were sporting a few wks back.

Ricky said...

Alright I'm predicting

Hair Length: 14 inches

What can I say your already frowing

Weight: 10 pounds

They are feeding you and you eat a lot. I figure with sun and that type of food you'll lose some weight, but won't end up looking like a twig.