Thursday, April 10, 2008

Learn Marshallese

I often get asked from my friends at home, "So what language do people speak in the Marshall Islands?" And I promptly respond, "Marshallese." The follow up question usually is something along the lines of, "Is Marshallese a real language? Where does it come from?"

Today I begin a series of videos that will teach you some basic Marshallese words and phrases. The speakers and singers in this video series are my students from NVTI in Majuro, Marshall Islands.

Enjoy! :)


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it! Looking forward to more.

Anonymous said...

Haha, this is great! Hi there, my name's James and I'm interning at the RMI UN mission now. I know a few other RMI WorldTeach people that are now back in the US. I was wondering if you'd mind if I embed this video on my site? Thanks! And keep up the good work there in Majuro!

Anonymous said...

Oops, made a mistake with the url in the previous post, it's correct now, sorry!

Anonymous said...

This was great! I enjoyed it very much. I hope you will continue with more productions.
Mom

La-Dazza said...

James,

Please feel free to embed this video on your site. I am glad you enjoyed it. What do you do for the RMI UN mission?

Anonymous said...

Hi Darren,

Thanks! I've put it up here. I'm what they call an adviser so things I get up to include representing RMI at meetings and helping with general liaisons between the mission and various UN agencies and other countries. If you ever come to New York you should come visit the mission! Let me know if you want to know anything else!

La-Dazza said...

James -

Great to know...I am sure I will have more questions in the future, but with limited internet access right now I do not have time to think.

If there is a way to contact you when I am heading to NY I would love the opportunity to visit the mission. However, I am not sure when that will be. It could be in mid-late june or it could be in over a year.

Anyway, when I post the new videos in my blog in the coming weeks feel free to add them as well.