Thursday, November 29, 2007

It's been a while...

Ok...So over three weeks has passed since I last updated my blog and many things have happened...

I was able to attend my first Kemem (a Marshallese first birthday...which is also the most important). I competed in another billfish tournemnt. We didn't place, but my friend Joe and I caught our first marlin (too bad it was small...only about 100-120lbs). I also caught a 15lbs skipjack tuna and a small rainbow runner on a handline (that means I did not use a rod and reel but a fishing line, a lure and my hands.....that is pretty cool). And I was able to spend a couple of weekends picnicing on other islands on Majuro Atoll. All in all the theme of the past few weeks has been "Another Rough, Tough Day in Paradise!"

As you all know, last week was Thanksgiving. Suprisingly enough they sell whole turkeys here as well as stuffin, mashed potatoes and pretty much anything else you need to make a Thanksgiving dinner. The dorm decided to host dinner for about 30 or so people on Saturday (since we don't get days off for American holidays here).I would have to say it was a pretty successful meal. The day began with tropical storm-like weather and a football game in the middle of acalf-deep lake at the high school. Of course my team won....and then the football game was followed up by dinner, a game of cranium, mafia, and a viewing of Elf.

Now that Thanksgiving is over, holiday season is in full swing here. There are live Christmas trees for sale (and of course they are from Oregon), stores and a few homes are putting up lights in the windows and on trees and christmas carols are blaring in stores, restaurants and on the radio. This is going to be my first Chirstmas away from home, so I am not sure what to expect. Granted if they stores and restuarants were not decorated I might forget what time of year it is because the weather does not make it feel like winter at all. Anyway I look forward to spending the holidays here. I hope I will be hanging out with my host family (I guess I should get them gifts...if anyone has good gift ideas for my host parents (25 and 26 yrs old) and my host brother (5 yrs old) and host sister (2 yrs old) let me know...or mom and dad send me stuff from oregon...or nike...or ccolumbia that I can give them.....

Oh yeah....my life is currently occupied by after school activities. I spend Tuesdays volunteering at the traditional canoe building house tutoring students in English. I spend other days after school playing music for my students or coaching the school basketball team. This has been quite the experience. I have students who do not own shoes playing basketball in flip-flops or their bare feet. Our first game is on monday, so I told them to find shoes (buy or barrow--hopefully not steal) so that they could play. I also found out that our school only has 24$ to spend on the students....so that means that there is no money for the 30 t-shirts that I just picked up for basketball and volleyball teams...Luckily I know the guy who makes the shirts and he let me take them with-out paying for them yet...

Anyway that is all for now...I am sure I will have more time to write when school is out.....

Oh yeah..we are now back on the USPS domestic rates so it should be pretty cheap to send me stuff priority.

My address is

Darren Nakata
c/o WorldTeach
PO Box 627
Majuro, MH 96960
RMI




Darren

4 comments:

rachel said...

I dont know how much your 30 jerseys cost but if you need donations, Id throw down a bit...

Unknown said...

Darren,

I haven't checked out your blog until now. It's so exciting to hear about all the things you're doing. I want to see more pictures! And that choir sounds great.

We got our first snow of the season in Philly this week. Some yesterday and some more today--no real accumulation, but it is chilly!

Good luck with the bball team. I think my dream is to coach middle school or high school track some time...just need to figure out how to work full time and do that!

Things in Philly are good--living with Mol near the art museum but we all miss Eric. Haven't seen him since he moved back home in August to finish med school apps, etc. He is now a volunteer firefighter and is working as an EMT/nurse at a Pittsburgh hospital. I want to see him soon!

I love that they like Sean Kingston. It is such a ghetto song, but I really like his new one about how he can take a girl to paradise or the slums...tough choice there.

Anyway, can't wait to hear more about what you've been doing. So many of you guys are going crazy things all around the world...I wonder if I will ever leave Philly! I hope so one day :)

xoxox,

Dane

Unknown said...

Hey Darren,

Sounds like a good time! How did your first basketball game go? What is your team's name?

Keep sending those pics. Really like to see them!

Love,
Kel

Unknown said...

Hi Dar. Sounds like you're keeping busy. Not much new here. Anna's birthday party is this weekend. She picked an Elmo theme, which includes an Elmo Carvel ice cream cake. She doesn't stop talking now. Sound like anyone you know? ;) She likes to use the words "maybe" and "sometimes" now. She even uses them appropriately. There's a Sesame Street website that has stories and games that she loves playing on the computer. Today she figured out how to use the touch-pad mouse on our laptop. Crazy, right? Ok, talk to you soon.

Cor